Lena Cano, Certified Personal Trainer, shares helpful information with our clients and the community at large on “Getting Summer Ready.” Austin Body Contouring believes that a healthier lifestyle brings about better living, as an Austin, TX leader in non-invasive body contouring we seek to provide our clients with information that will enable them to live their best lives. We hope you find her insights below valuable as you seek to Be Your Best You!
With summer just around the corner you may be wondering what healthy habits you can pick up to get into your best summer shape. Whether you are looking to be swimsuit ready or simply vowing to give yourself a little more TLC, here are 5 attainable goals to set and stick to starting now.
Feeling thirsty? By the time you experience thirst, you are already dehydrated. The human body is about 50-75% water. In order to remain hydrated, you must consume at least about half of your body weight (pounds) in ounces of pure water or water-based liquids on a normal day. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should aim to drink 75 ounces of liquid each day. Additional water intake is recommended during intense exercise or in high heat and high humidity environments.
4 evidence-based health benefits of drinking plenty of water.
- Regulate Energy Levels and Brain: Your brain and energy levels are strongly influenced by your hydration status. Studies ranging from children to the elderly have shown that mild dehydration can impair mood, memory, and brain performance.
- Relieve Constipation: Increasing fluid intake is often recommended as part of treatment protocol for infrequent bowel movements.
- Maximize Physical Performance: Optimal hydration has been shown to prevent fatigue both physically and mentally, aid in body temperature control, and may even reduce the oxidative stress that occurs during high intensity exercise.
- Help with Weight Loss: Drinking plenty of water has been shown to aid in weight loss due to the fact that water can increase satiety and boost your metabolic rate.
Note how all four benefits tie in to your overall mental and physical well being. Nearly all our body systems do not function well without proper water intake. So what are you waiting for? Drink up!
Regular exercise offers incredible benefits that can improve nearly every aspect of your health from the inside out. These benefits include:
- Weight loss and management
- Strong muscles and bones
- Improved balance
- Boost in energy levels and mood
- Reduced stress
- Reduced risk of chronic disease
- Support brain health and memory
- Toxin elimination through sweat production
- Help with sleep quality
Along with diet, exercise plays an important role in controlling your weight and keeping the body’s systems functioning at their best. Studies have shown that exercising just 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week can reduce the risk of premature death from causes such as heart disease and some cancers. Whether you choose resistance/strength training, high intensity training, or endurance training as your means of exercise, remember to be consistent and have fun with it!
Eat Clean and Well
Clean eating is a way of living that lends itself to improving your health and well-being. Here are a few key principles that align with clean, healthy eating.
- Eat real, whole food – Cut out processed or refined foods.
- Eat for nourishment – Eat regular, balanced meals and healthy snacks including lean protein, good fats, and complex carbohydrates.
- Eat more plant based foods – Add more leafy greens and vegetables to your plate.
- Limit added fats, salts, sugars – Check your labels.
- Drink plenty of water – Hydrate in accordance to your activity and environment.
The positive changes you make towards clean eating will allow your body to gradually get more used to the clean eating lifestyle. Your body will love it and you will feel amazing! Not to mention, you may lose a few pounds.
Reduce your stress
Stress is a major problem in today’s modern world thanks to factors including social media, long working hours, and lack of physical activity. One of the most prevalent health conditions brought on by stress is its impact on hormone levels and ability to maintain a healthy weight. Below are five ways stress can negatively impact your quality of life and disrupt hormonal balance, thus interfering with weight loss.
- Stress makes it harder to get good sleep.
- Stress increases cravings.
- Stress contributes to digestive disorders such as leaky gut syndrome.
- Stress makes it difficult to stay active.
- Stress can lead to brain-fog, moodiness, and low willpower.
Once stress hormones are activated, they can interfere with your mood, sleep, and digestion. High levels of stress can in turn contribute to elevated sugar and carbohydrate cravings which have been linked to increased risk for weight gain and various health problems. On top of that, elevated cortisol levels brought on by stress can impede adequate sleep. While you may not be able to control all of life’s circumstances, you can control how you respond. Thankfully, there are stress relievers which can calm your body and mind. Give any of the following a try and enjoy the benefits.
- Focus on your breath. Dedicate some time to taking long, deep, mindful inhales and exhales.
- Mediate. There is no wrong way.
- Do a physical activity even if it is as simple as a walk.
- Develop a positive self-talk habit. Speak to yourself in a realistic, positive manner.
- Obtain social support.
Sleeping is a basic human need and vital for good health and well-being. However, it can be easy to overlook why sleep is so important. Getting adequate and quality sleep at the right times can improve your quality of life and help protect your mental and physical health. Here are some of the other benefits you can take advantage of by getting good sleep.
- Weight maintenance
- Improve concentration and production
- Maximize athletic performance
- Memory and information storage
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases
- Reduce stress and depression
You can improve the quality of sleep by getting into a regular sleep/wake cycle everyday and ensuring your sleeping environment is dark and cool. Develop a night time routine centered around relaxation to signal to your body and mind that it is time to get ready for rest. Reducing your exposure to light and noise can also help to set the mood. Experiment and incorporate some of the tips mentioned if you want to make getting better sleep a priority.
The Bottom Line
Regardless of your motivation to get summer ready know you can always take it at your own pace. Start by incorporating one healthy habit at a time. Once you feel comfortable with one, build upon your progress and choose another health habit to add on. To your health and well-being!
Lena Cano holds a Bachelor of Science in Biology with a minor in Chemistry and is a Certified Personal Trainer, Running Coach, and holds a Level 1 Nutrition Certification through Precision Nutrition. Lena strives to be the best version of herself when it comes to stability in health and relationships. For more information on her services you can connect with her at email@example.com
Austin Body Contouring has been providing Austin Texas area clients with FDA Approved, 100% Non-Invasive Body Contouring successfully for more than nine years. We offer a painless way to eliminate stubborn body fat and achieve your body contouring goals. Our lipo-laser weight loss is proven to remove stubborn body fat and excess inches. To schedule a complimentary consultation, call 512.660.2810 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to book your complementary consultation? Have additional questions? Send us a message below, or call (512) 660-2810 and we’d be happy to get you set up!
Lead photo courtesy of Austin Body Contouring client @herfashionedlife
Have a Question? Want to Schedule a Complimentary Consultation?
Send us a message below, or call (512) 660-2810 and we’d be happy to help!