In our effort to continually provide our clients with useful information on healthy living, Austin Body Contouring, Austin’s leading non-invasive body contouring practice will be engaging with various individuals in our community to share interesting and informative articles to you.
In our first Gut Health post, by Stefanie Moore, MS Nutrition & Health Education, we learned what gut health is and why it is so important. We also touched on the symptoms you will experience if your gut is not functioning properly. Today we are going to discuss the foods and beverages we put into our body and how they affect our overall gut health.
Foods that help you treat your gut and repair the damage:
- Bone Broth is rich in minerals and contains healing compounds such as glutamine and collagen. The collagen in bone broth reduces inflammation in the intestine and heals your gut lining.
- Coconut Oilis known to improve bacteria and gut health by destroying unhealthy bacteria and candida. Candida imbalance can decrease stomach acid which causes inflammation and digestive issues.
- Red Cabbage is high in fiber and known to prevent constipation and treat gastrointestinal issues.
- Aloe Verahas antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties and is known to be a powerful stimulant laxative.
- Fermented Foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, tempeh, and miso help balance the production of stomach acid. They contain digestive enzymes, health boosting nutrients, and beneficial probiotics.
- Chia Seeds are loaded with fiber, which helps promote the growth of healthy and beneficial gut bacteria.
- Steamed Vegetablesare easier for your body to break down and digest than raw vegetables which can lead to gas, bloating and abdominal pain.
- Kefir contains more healthy probiotics than regular yogurt. These probiotics help restore balance in the gut, thereby improving digestion.
- Wild Fatty Fish has high quantities of omega 3 fatty acids, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and is crucial for healing an inflamed gut.
Foods to avoid if you are having gut issues:
- Dairyis highly inflammatory and full of hormones and antibiotics which disrupt the integrity of the intestinal microbiome.
- Gluten is found in wheat and known be a major gut irritant due to inflammation on the lining of your gut.
- Alcohol can cause digestive problems such as acid reflux. It also makes it more difficult to digest food and absorb vital nutrients.
- Coffeeis highly acidic and can aggravate the gut if consumed in large quantities. It can also lead to heart burn and/or acid reflux.
- Carbonated Beveragescontain dissolved carbon dioxide, which when it warms to your body temperature converts to gas. This can aggravate the intestinal lining and can lead to problems with digestion, bloating, and gas.
- Legumescontain oligosaccharide, a type of sugar that is difficult to digest. This then can lead to bloating, gas and constipation.
- Citrus Beverages contain high quantities of citric acid which can irritate your esophagus and cause reflux symptoms.
- Sugar in higher quantities is difficult for the body to break down and absorb. Bacteria and yeast feed on the sugar which causes gas, bloating, and spasms.
- Fried Foodsare high in fat and low in fiber. These foods either remain in the digestive track for too long causing bloating or they move too quickly and cause diarrhea.
As you have learned, optimizing your gut flora is imperative for your overall health. Look out for our next post where we will discuss supplements and recommend recipes that will nourish and treat your gut!
Stefanie has her Masters of Science in Nutrition and Health Education. She is dedicated to the field of nutrition and educating people on the power of good health. Stefanie specializes in weight management and food sensitivities. For more information on her services, you can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Austin Body Contouring has been providing Austin Texas area clients with FDA Approved, 100% Non-Invasive Body Contouring successfully for more than eight years. We offer a painless way to eliminate stubborn body fat and achieve your body contouring goals. Our lipo-laser weight loss is proven to remove stubborn body fat and excess inches. To schedule a complimentary consultation, call 512.660.2810 or email us at email@example.com